Friday, April 17, 2009

Dinner Time

Every day I dread dinner time. Firstly I have to think of what to give the kids that is healthy, make sure it is agreeable to all parties, then ensure it is cooked, on the table and ready to eat. All this must be done before any-one falls asleep, starts really moaning or fills themselves up on snacks and refuses to eat a proper meal.

Dinner time also co-insides with whinging hour which in my household goes from 4pm - 6pm.

Does any-one else have this and if so do you have any ideas how to make it better?

2 comments:

  1. Oh I call mine the nightmare hour. Seems to be getting a bit better though. I think the older they are the better it is. Maybe keep them busy as you make supper. Hannah(four) goes on the computer to play and Justin (2) watches tv and plays. Hope this helps. I'm sure I wasn't too helpful to you but just know you are not the only one that goes through this. It is hard on me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we usually have Treehouse on while i make dinner, just so i have a fighting chance of getting things ready. Hubby doen't normally get home til after 7, so the kids (3 yrs & 16 months old) eat before us....For my little guy I cook up big batches of spaghetti bolognese (with lots of added veggies) & other pasta meals & freeze it into ice cubes than can be reheated quickly, then add fruit / yoghurt onto his tray. I find that helps a lot & means he always has some meals ready to go. My daughter is going through that "hating anything in a sauce" phase, so I tend to cook up chicken breasts, "healthy" burgers & suasages in batches too, so i've always got some protein on hand for them. If I'm chopping veggies for a recipe for us too (i'm on a low cholesterol / low fat cooking regime most of the time), I'll often chop up extra while I'm doing it, so they too are ready to go for them.

    You are definitely not alone, it is always a challenge!! I remember seeing on "Fixing Dinner" once, what you give the kids part of their meal first, eg raw veggies & dip, while you are preparing the rest of it, maybe that would help!

    ReplyDelete