Monday, April 6, 2009

Timing is everything

From September I am going to have tricky school year. I will have a 5 year old in Kindergarten, a 3.5 year old in pre-school somewhere else and a 2 year old who is dragged along whereever we go.
I know that I am not alone in this and most parents will have at least a year of this sort of to-ing and fro-ing but I am surprised that the school system hasn’t been changed to make things easier for parents.
I have just about recovered from the shock that my daughter will be 6.5 years before she has any full time education in Calgary. In the the UK you start school full-time in the school year that you are 5. This means some children are as young as 4 years old if they have summer birthdays. In China your child can start school full time at 2 years old.
I know some people think 3 and 4 is too young to start school but surely the earlier they start learning the alphabet and numbers, listening to instructions from some-one other than a parent and interacting with other children is actually a good thing.
I hate to say that next to Europeans, Canadians don’t rate that highly in the education stakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment