Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dress the Part, You Pirates You!

While I can't say that I would relish the opportunity to meet modern, real life pirates, I do have to say that I would feel shortchanged if I did run into them only to discover that they looked like the Somali "pirates" we see on the news. Honestly, if you are going to frighten and terrorize sailors, can't you at least make the effort to get a parrot, wear an eye patch or talk like a pirate? I think I would feel cheated by my experience if I met one of these ocean bullies and they didn't give me at least one good "Arrrr, matey!" or carry a sword.

If we go to the doctor, we expect to be seen by someone who is either wearing scrubs, a white coat or a nice set of slacks. If our doctor walked in wearing pajamas or a jogging suit, we might be a little concerned. Likewise, when we eat at a restaurant, we expect the wait staff to either have some sort of a uniform, apron, or to be dressed according to our stereotypical expectations. If our waiter/waitress arrived at our table wearing cut off shorts, flip flop sandals and an old, tattered shirt, we might feel like we didn't get the full dining experience.

Maybe my stereotypical image of pirates is inaccurate but somehow I still choose to think that pirates look like the Pirates of the Caribbean and not like shirtless militia men. If only they would dress the part, if for no other reason than to humor me.

1 comment: