Friday, March 13, 2009

Found something he likes

I decided to put Kai in Karate at the local community center to see if he'd be interested and I'm so happy he really enjoys it. We did have an off week where he was not behaving at all and so I was worried last night when we went, thinking he was going to act up again. I didn't actually get to watch the class because of where I was sitting, but I was so proud of him for the job he was doing. He didn't get talked to about calming down, or to pay attention. I could hear him being praised and it made me happy knowing that he finally had caught on and was really focusing on something. There was a lack of interest in the classes before so he's in a group where it's him, a couple older kids (in the 10-13 year old range) and sometimes another girl his age comes to class so to keep up with the older kids is great for him.

His Sensei talked to the class last night about them learning this one routine because they needed to know it in order to earn their yellow belt. Kai's voice totally perked up at that and he asked about it. He was sold after that and is now excited and determined to get that yellow belt. I talked to the Sensei to find out how we go about doing classes so he can earn it and she said if he does the next session at the end she will test him for it.

I'm just happy to have found something that he looks forward to every week and the great thing is after his class last night he's really learning to focus and pay attention better. Sometimes he has problems with that, but hopefully if we keep it up he'll get better at home and school. He made me so proud last night with doing such a great job during class and with wanting to make his first real goal in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment