Saturday, March 28, 2009

Identity Theft

I am sure that most mothers would agree that they longed for children and could not wait for the day they announced to the world that they were pregnant. After being told everything was fine they concentrated on worrying how they were going to get through the labour and if they were ready for a child.

Once the child arrives things change in a way you never imagined and the part that people never tell you about is the loss of yourself. Once you have a child, until they leave home or can at least fend for themselves, you are nothing more than a reflection of your former self. The days of popping out to the shops are over, enjoying a leisurely meal doesn’t happen and wild nights on the town are impossible. This doesn’t mean that your life stops, it just adapts. After all your child / children will always be your first priority.

After 3 children I still struggle with the person I used to be verses the person I’ve turned into. I’ve lost all spontaneity, can’t do late nights out because looking after kids with a hangover is too difficult and rarely go to the toilet alone. But I have now got some very close friends, a good supportive network and I am a master at indoor crafts and cake baking.

I have just about accepted that the old me has gone and most of the time I’m comfortable with the way my life has evolved. And very occasionally when the moon is out, the old me forces its way out of the shadows and for a few brief hours, I’m reminded of the time before children.

No comments:

Post a Comment