Sunday, March 15, 2009

Ow, my boob!

I should of thought of this before...
Yesterday evening one of my baby-feeding devices (AKA breasts) became sore, and a little lumpy. I made my husband insane by grabbing his hand every 1/2 hour and latching it onto my chest (and to think this is something he would've welcomed a couple years ago!), exclaiming,"FEEL THIS! Does this feel normal? Do you think its cancer?! Ouch!!"
And after the fourth time reassuring me that my breast felt normal, he would just snatch his hand back and glare at me like I was insane. It would be nice to think my husband could pick me out of a line-up by the condition of my boobs alone (what kind of line-up would that be?? Sounds like a guy's dream...), but he doesn't seem to notice the difference between when they're lumpy, and non-lumpy.
I take that back; he did notice when my milk came in shortly after giving birth to my daughter... his reaction wavered between lust and all-out fear. But I digress...

My own hypochondria aside, I remember it as being the same feeling as when I had a blocked milk duct when my daughter was about 2 months old. When it happened the first time, I sat in a hot, steamy bath to get things clear again. This time I remembered something the Home-Visit nurse suggested, that at the time I scoffed at: Pour hot water on a disposable diaper and plaster it across the offending baby-feeder. I think what I scoffed at was the idea of "wasting" a diaper to do this... I like the Premium ones (they smell like baby powder!), and they ain't cheap.

Fast-forward several months later, and here I am typing this with a hot, wet diaper strapped across one side of my chest. I'll admit it does feel better. I'll also admit that I'm in the house ALONE, because my husband has taken the baby to his parents' place for dinner and due to my general malaise, I've opted out. This his first Solo-Outing with the baby, so I hope all goes well!

So that means I have the house to myself for a few hours tonight! I could catch up on all the tv shows I've recorded, I could catch up on all the laundry, I could take that hot, steamy bath!

Truth be told, I'll probably take a nap with a hot, soggy diaper.
Good Times.

4 comments:

  1. part of me is so glad that I wasn't able to breast feed for some of the problems that people have. I hope that you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did you take that nap??????? Hope you're feeling better better today :0) Hope Daddy's first solo trip went well too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh clogged milk duct, I've had a few of those the last few months and they really hurt! Made me feel like I was getting the flu too. Never heard about the wet, hot diaper trick. I'll try that next time!! Hope you're feeling better soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, thanks all... I did take that nap, AND a long bath! However, this morning I woke up feeling the same, if not, worse... so off to the doctor for me! Wish me luck.
    Dad's solo trip went well, although he commented, "I didn't get to do as much socializing as I usually do because I had to watch her the whole time". Really?! You don't say... ; )

    ReplyDelete