Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Mister Indepentant..

Well my two year old wants to do it all for himself. I love it and hate it at the same time. To see him learn and try new things is so great, brings a smile to my face and a warmness to my heart. However that all goes out the window when I find him climbing the kitchen stools to reach the plastic glasses that are in the top cupboards on the middle shelf. They are not now, have moved them down to his level. Then it is off the fridge where he gets the milk or the water, all by himself. Sits on the floor with it, opens up the container and pours. If it is heavy he will ask for some help but not much. I might be allowed the assist but not do. Then he returns the cover and lets me know I can put it back in the fridge. He wants to dress alone, get his own drinks, he even goes to the potty and don't tell me until he is done or I walk in the room to find him just sitting there.
It is my own fault I guess, I start them off young letting them do things, try things and never once do I tell them they can't do something. I hope that later in life it will come back to them when they are wondering if they are good enough to try something or go down a new path.
However the hardest part is when time is not on my side and I need to be somewhere. I find I have to start earlier and well that is not easy when you are trying to get 4 sometimes 5 people out the door. Some days it can be very frustrating and I do walk out the door with a crying child because he did not get to put on his own boots or open the door all by himself but he will get over it and he usually does when we get to playgroup or where ever it is we are going.
I know it is short lived because the day will come and I will want him to do things for himself that he just won't do, like my oldest that is a story for another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment